Dr Tamaryn Crankshaw
Tamaryn has a PhD in Public Health and has research interests which include sexual and reproductive health and rights, prevention of gender-based violence, HIV prevention and gender politics. Her current research focuses on unsafe abortion, adolescents and contraception, young key populations, comprehensive sexuality education and linkages to adolescent-friendly sexual and reproductive health services. She is currently engaged in related projects in the Eastern and Southern Africa region.
- Crankshaw, TL., Voce, A., King, RL., Giddy, J., Sheon, NM., Butler, LM. (2014) Double disclosure bind: complexities of communicating an HIV diagnosis in the context of unintended pregnancy in Durban, South Africa, AIDS and Behavior, 18(1): S53-S59
- Matthews LT, Crankshaw TL, Giddy J, Kaida A, Ware N, Smit J, Bangsberg DR. (2013). Reproductive decision-making and periconception practices among HIV-positive men and women accessing HIV care in Durban, South Africa. AIDS and Behavior: 17(2):461-70
- Crankshaw TL, Matthews LT, Giddy J, Kaida A, Ware N, Smit J, Bangsberg DR. (2012). A conceptual framework for understanding HIV risk behaviour in the context of supporting fertility goals amongst serodiscordant couples. Reproductive Health Matters 20 (39).
- Chetty T, Knight S, Giddy J, Crankshaw TL, Butler L, Newell M-L. (2012). A retrospective study of Human Immunodeficiency Virus transmission, mortality and loss to follow-up among infants in the first 18 months of life in a prevention of mother-to-child transmission programme in an urban hospital in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. BMC Pediatrics 12:146. doi: 10.1186/1471-2431-12-146.
- Matthews LT, Crankshaw TL, Giddy J, Psaros C, Kaida A, Ware NC, Smit JA, Bangsberg D. (2012). Reproductive counseling by clinic healthcare workers in Durban, South Africa: perspectives from HIV-positive men and women reporting serodiscordant partners. Infectious Diseases in Obstetrics and Gynecology. doi:10.1155/2012/146348
- Geddes R., Giddy J., Butler LM., van Wyk E., Crankshaw T., Esterhuizen T.M., Knight S. (2011). Dual and triple therapy to prevent mother-to-child transmission of HIV in a resource-limited setting: lessons from a South African programme. South African Medical Journal 101: 651-654.
- Crankshaw T, Corless IB, Giddy J, Nicholas P.K, Eichbaum Q, Butler LM. (2010). Exploring the Patterns of Use and the Feasibility of using Cellular Phones for Clinic Appointment Reminders and Adherence Messages in an ART clinic, Durban, South Africa. Patient AIDS Care and STDs, 24(11):729-734.
- Scorgie, F. and Crankshaw, T. (2008). Band-aid for a gaping wound: can mandatory HIV testing of newborns improve the success of PMTCT? Agenda 75, Vol 1(1):54-60
Davies, NECG., Matthews, LT., Crankshaw, TL., Cooper, D and Schwartz, SR (2017) Supporting HIV prevention and reproductive goals in an HIV-endemic setting: taking safer conception services from policy to practice in South Africa Journal of the International AIDS Society, 20(1):21271, http://dx.doi.org/10.7448/IAS.20.2.21271
Crankshaw, TL., Voce, A., Butler, L.M., Darbes, L. (2016) Expanding the relationship context for couple-based HIV prevention: Elucidating women's perspectives on non-traditional sexual partnerships Social Science and Medicine, 166, pp 169-176, doi: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2016.08.020
Crankshaw, TL., Smit,JA and Beksinska, ME (2016) Placing contraception at the centre of the HIV prevention agenda African Journal of AIDS Research, 15(2), pp 157-162, DOI 10.2989/16085906.2016.1204330
Matthews LT, Moore L, Crankshaw TL, Milford C, Mosery FN, Greener R, Psaros C, Safren SA, Bangsberg DR and Smit JA (2014) South Africans with recent pregnancy rarely know partner's HIV serostatus: implications for serodiscordant couples interventions 14(1), 843, doi: 10.1186/1471-2458-14-843
Katz, IT, Butler, LM, Crankshaw, TL, Wright, AA, Bramhill, K, Leone, DA, Giddy, J, Mould, S (2016) Cervical abnormalities in South African women living with HIV with high screening and referral rates
Casale M, Cluver L, Crankshaw T, Kuo C, Lachman JM and Wild LG (2015) Direct and indirect effects of caregiver social support on adolescent psychological outcomes in two South African AIDS-affected communities 55 (3-4), pp 336-46, DOI:10.1007/s10464-015-9705-3
Casale M and Crankshaw T (2015) "They laugh when I sing": perceived effects of caregiver social support on child wellbeing among South African caregivers of children J Child Adolesc Ment Health, 27(2), pp 149-55, doi: 10.2989/17280583.2015.1067216.
Sengayi,M., Spoerri,A., Egger,M., Kielkowski,D.,Crankshaw,T., Cloete,C., Giddy,J., Bohlius,J (2016) Record linkage to correct under-ascertainment of cancers in HIV cohorts: the Sinikithemba HIV clinic Linkage Project International Journal of Cancer, DOI: 10.1002/ijc.30154
Mindry, D.L., Milford, C. Greener, L., Greener, R.M., Maharaj, P., Letsoalo, T., Munthree, C., Crankshaw, T.L., Smit, J.A. (2016) Client and provider knowledge and views on safer conception for people living with HIV (PLHIV) Sexual & Reproductive Healthcare, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.srhc.2016.03.005
Katz,IT, Bogart,LM, Cloete,C., Crankshaw,T., Giddy,J, Govender,T., Regan,S., Gaynes,MR., Leone,D.,Losina,E.,Bassett, IV. (2015) Understanding HIV-infected patients’ experiences with PEPFAR-associated transitions at a Centre of Excellence in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa: a qualitative study AIDS Care: Psychological and Socio-medical Aspects of AIDS/HIV, DOI: 10.1080/09540121.2015.1051502
L. T. Matthews, J. A. Smit, L. Moore, C. Milford, R. Greener, F. N. Mosery, H. Ribaudo, K. Bennett, T. L. Crankshaw, A. Kaida, C. Psaros, S. A. Safren, D. R. Bangsberg (2015) Periconception HIV risk behavior among men and women reporting HIV-serodiscordant partners in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa AIDS and Behavior, DOI 10.1007/s10461-015-1050-x
Mindry, D., Crankshaw,T. L., Maharaj, P., Munthree, C., Lestsoalo, T., Milford, C., Greener, R. M., Rambally, L., and Smit, J. A. 2014 "We have to try and have this child before it is too late": missed opportunities in client-provider communication on reproductive intentions of people living with HIV AIDS Care: Psychological and Socio-medical Aspects of AIDS/HIV, 27(1), 25-30, Taylor & Francis Online, DOI: 10.1080/09540121.2014.951311
Crankshaw, T. L., Mindry, D., Munthree, C., Letsoalo, T., and Maharaj, P. 2014 Challenges with couples, serodiscordance and HIV disclosure: health care provider perspectives on delivering safer conception services for HIV-affected couples, South Africa Journal of the International AIDS Society, 17(18832)