- Research fellow
- Disability, Health and Livelihoods
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office: +27 (0)31 260 8948
Siphumelele is currently a co-investigator on a South African Department of Social Development funded project investigating the psychosocial profile of men who commit rape in South Africa. She is also involved in a three country project studying HIV prevention and treatment interventions with mobile populations. Her research interests include sexual and reproductive health and rights, mental health, HIV prevention and disability.
Siphumelele holds a Master’s degree in Counselling Psychology from the University of KwaZulu-Natal (UKZN). Prior to joining HEARD, she has worked as an Intern Counselling Psychologist at the Child and Family Centre in the School of Psychology at UKZN and as a research assistant within the Department of Psychiatry at the Nelson R Mandela School of Medicine at UKZN
- Davis, G. P., Tomita, A., Noel Baumgartner, J., Mtshemla, S., Nene, S., King, H., Susser, E., & Burns, J.K., (2016). Substance use and duration of untreated psychosis in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. South African Journal of Psychiatry, Vol 22 (1), p 1-7 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4102/sajpsychiatry.v22i1.852
- Tomita, A., Burns, J.K., King, H., Noel Baumgartner, J., Davis, G. P., Mtshemla, S., Nene, S. & Susser, E, (2016). Beyond symptom management: Family relations, unmet needs of persons living with severe mental illnesses, and potential implications for social work in South Africa, Social Work in Health Care, Vol 55 (1), p 12-27, DOI:10.1080/00981389.2015.1088926
- Tomita, A., Burns, JK., King, H., Baumgartner, JN., Davis, GP., Mtshemla, S., Nene, S, & Susser E. (2015), Duration of untreated psychosis and the pathway to care in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa, Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 203(3): 222-225
Chappell, P., Johns, R., Nene, S and Hanass-Hancock, J (2017) Educators’ perceptions of learners with intellectual disabilities’ sexual knowledge and behaviour in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa Sex Education, DOI: 10.1080/14681811.2017.1405801.
Hanass-Hancock, J., Nene, S., Deghaye, N and Pillay, S (2017) ‘These are not luxuries, it is essential for access to life’: Disability related out-of-pocket costs as a driver of economic vulnerability in South Africa African Journal of Disability, 6(0), https://doi.org/10.4102/ajod. v6i0.280