Structural Interventions for Gender Equality and HIV Prevention
Recent research has shown that gender inequalities can be tackled if there is a concerted effort to challenge gender inequalities through community mobilisation and tackling the structural determinants of ill health such as poverty or lack of access to health services.
This project focuses on interventions that have sought to simultaneously tackle gender inequalities and livelihood insecurity and provides the basis for further research.
- Altman (2005) Rights Matter: Structural interventions and vulnerable communities. Health and Human Rights, 8(2), 203-213, available here.
- Blakenship et al. (2006) Structural Interventions: Concepts, challenges and opportunities for research. Journal of Urban Health, 83(1), 59-72, available here.
- Commission on Social Determinants of Health, available here.
- Gupta et al. (2008) Structural Approaches to HIV Prevention. Lancet 372, 764-75, available here.
- Pronyk et al. (2006) Effect of a structural intervention for the prevention of intimate-partner violence and HIV in rural South Africa: a cluster randomised trial. Lancet, 1973-1983, available here.
- Pronyk et al. (2008) A combined microfinance and training intervention can reduce HIV risk behaviour in young female participants. AIDS, 22(13), 1659-1665, available here.
The Programme has published a number of articles and given a series of presentations on this topic.
- Gibbs, A. (2010) Understandings of Gender and HIV in the South African Media. AIDS Care, special supplement on Community Mobilisation, 22(S2), 1620-1628.
- Campbell, C., Cornish, F., Gibbs, A. & Scott, K. (2010) Heeding the Push from Below: How do social movements persuade the rich to listen to the poor? Journal of Health Psychology. 15(7) 962-971
- Gibbs, A, Campbell, C (2010) Political will as a significant 'social determinant of health': a South African case study. (pp. 242-262) Chapter in: Sanjoy Bhattacharya, Sharon Messenger & Caroline Overy, Social Determinants of Health: Assessing theory, policy and practice, Hyderabad: Orient Blackswan.
- Campbell, C. and Gibbs, A. (2010) Poverty, AIDS and Gender. (pp. 327-332) In: Chant, S. (ed.) International Handbook on Poverty and Gender. Cheltenam, UK: Edward Elgar.
- Gibbs, A., Mannell, J. and Campbell, C. (2011, poster) Why do gender and AIDS interventions fail?. 5th South African AIDS Conference, 7-10 June 2011.
- Gibbs, A., Willan, S. and Misselhorn, A. (2011, poster) Gender Inequality and Livelihood Insecurity: A critical review of HIV Prevention interventions. 5th South African AIDS Conference, 7-10 June 2011.
- Gibbs, A. and Campbell, C. (2010, poster) Creating social environments that support effective community mobilisation: a case study of home-based care in rural South Africa. XVII International AIDS Conference, Vienna, 18 - 23 July 2010
- Campbell, C. and Gibbs, A., (2009). The Role of the Media in Creating an Enabling Environment for Scaling Up. 4th Southern African AIDS Conference, Durban, South Africa. 31 March 2009 to 3 April 2009